NRL news 2021: Anthony Milford’s move to South Sydney Rabbitohs blocked by NRL

An NRL star will have to wait before his move to South Sydney can be confirmed as the league waits for criminal proceedings to conclude.

Anthony Milford will have to wait a little while longer before he can declare himself a South Sydney Rabbitohs player as the NRL advised the star and the Bunnies they will not let him register until criminal proceedings against him have concluded.

The 27-year-old had endured a rollercoaster seven-year-spell with the Brisbane Broncos and will move down south to the Rabbitohs for the 2022 season.

However, Milford won’t be able to don the cardinal and myrtle just yet due to the NRL’s decision.

“The NRL has advised player Anthony Milford and the South Sydney Rabbitohs that it will not consider registering a contract for the player until criminal proceedings against Milford have been completed,” a statement from the NRL read.

“Given the severity of the allegations, particularly that two charges allege violence against women, the NRL will not consider an application for registration until the court process is complete.”

The Rabbitohs issued a statement of their own, backing the verdict from the NRL.

“The South Sydney Rabbitohs respect and support the NRL’s decision to not register a contract for Anthony Milford at this stage,” the statement read.

“The Rabbitohs will await the outcome of the legal proceedings and the NRL’s final determination before commenting further.”

On September 20, Milford was arrested and charged with three counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of wilful damage involving a vehicle.

“Police were called to Marshall Street in Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley shortly before 2am following reports of a disturbance,” a Queensland Police spokesperson said at the time.

“A number of bystanders allegedly attempted to break up the altercation,” a police spokesman said.

“In the course of events the 27-year-old man allegedly assaulted two other women and caused damage to a parked motor vehicle.

“Police will also allege the man assaulted a 19-year-old man before being apprehended.

“A 27-year-old Forest Lake man was arrested nearby and charged with three counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of wilful damage.

“He was given police bail to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on October 20.”

Read related topics:Sydney

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.